Stacks Image 223896

Casting Policies & FAQ

    Casting Policies

    PCPA is on an U/RTA Tier III AEA contract.
    For contract details please visit Actors Equity Organization online at

    PCPA casts non-union guest actors mostly in our summer season.
    All non-union guests are awarded scholarships.
    Scholarships begin at $275/wk and go up from there depending upon experience and education level.
    In order to receive scholarships actors are enrolled at Allan Hancock College
    Your enrollment affords you the following:
    Access to the Student Health Center
    Access to Campus Amenities (Gym, Pool, Library etc.)

    Housing and Travel
    PCPA will cover housing and travel for AEA contracts as per the U/RTA Tier III rules stipulated in the handbook.
    PCPA does not cover housing and travel costs for Non-Union guests.
    For our summer season our Company Manager helps facilitate finding housing that is suitable for your needs.

    PCPA holds a two to three month audition tour November through January every year.
    To see our tour schedule please go to the Audition page

    To make an audition appointment please email

    For casting questions please e-mail the Casting Director, Erik Stein, at

    If you cannot make it to one of our audition locations we will accept video auditions.
    Please make sure you email your video link along with your headshot, and resume.
    YouTube using the unlisted setting or Vimeo works best.

    Make sure you have recorded two contrasting monologues and 16 to 32 bars of any song.

    Email your video links to

    Frequently Asked Questions

    Does PCPA offer EMC (Equity Membership Candidacy) Points to Non-Union Actors?
    Yes! We do.
    (See the AEA Handbook or Website for details)

    Monologues -
    Monologues should be no longer than 90 seconds in length.

    What are two contrasting monologues?
    One comic and one dramatic - or one classic and one contemporary.
    It is the actor’s discretion how they choose to “contrast”.

    Music -
    How Long?
    16 to 32 bars.

    What is 16 to 32 bars?
    This is about 30 to 60 seconds of a song.

    Can I sing from something other than a musical?
    Yes. Songs from musicals are the most common, but it is up to the actor’s discretion.

    Do I need to bring sheet music
    Unless otherwise specified.

    "Please bring a picture and resume." What does that mean?
    A picture for an acting audition is traditionally an 8" x 10" head and shoulder full face photograph.
    An acting resume traditionally has the actor's name, phone number, and email address. It also lists previous theatre training and experience.

    If I can’t make it to a location to audition can I submit a video?

    Please make sure the video is current and consists of two contrasting monologues and 16 to 32 bars of any song.

    Please do not use video of you performing in a show unless otherwise specified.

    Email your video links to

    Contracts -
    Does PCPA hire AEA Performers?
    We do hire AEA performers.
    We are on a Tier III U/RTA Contract.
    (See AEA Handbook or Website for details)

    Does PCPA hire Non-Union Actors?
    Yes, we do!

    Are Non-Union Actors Compensated?
    Non-union actors are awarded scholarships from Allan Hancock College
    Scholarships begin at $275/wk and go up from there depending on experience and education level.

    Do we offer housing for Non-Union Actors?
    We do not provide housing for our non-union actors but our Company Manager helps to place you in affordable housing for your summer needs.

    Further Casting/Audition Questions?
    Contact the Casting Director, Erik Stein at
    Business Office
    805 928-7731
    Box Office
    805 922-8313

    facebook    youtube    instagram    trip advisor