PCPA offers professional internships in multiple areas of theatre. PCPA’s master-apprentice approach to training provides unique experiences with theatre professionals both resident and guests. As an intern you will be training directly with professionals in their respective fields.
For more information about Technical Internships, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about Acting Internships, please contact email@example.com
Benefits of an Internship at PCPA
• Opportunity to gain practical experience in your chosen field.
• Work in both an outdoor and indoor thrust stage.
• Taking time off before Graduate school to work in a conservatory environment and mentor less experienced students will help your process when you get to graduate school.
• Join a network of over 50 years of alumni.
• Spend your summer or fall and spring in California.
• Winter/Spring interns are required to participate in a portfolio review each semester. We help you learn to prepare and present your portfolio to the industry.
• Having completed Graduate School, build your professional portfolio.
• Interns are required to be registered students of Allan Hancock College. The mandatory registration fees are covered.
• PCPA awards scholarships to a majority of the interns who are accepted. The IRS considers these scholarships taxable income.
• Interns will be informed of all required personal supplies before they accept the internship.
• The program does not offer a degree.
• Interns are scheduled, on average, for 40 to 48 hours per week.
• Internships can range between 3, 9 or 12 months with the possibility of more.
• Each department will have schedules that vary depending on your duties and the overall production schedule.
• You will not have time to keep an outside job.
While at PCPA we expect you to experience the following
• Develop strong work habits
• Be tired
• Build and refine your portfolio
• Practice your craft
• Enjoy the great California weather
• Decide if this is the best career path for you.
• Have fun
Enrollment is by interview only
To be considered for an interview PCPA’s Professional Internship applicants must submit an application form, a current resume listing previous theatre training, theater experience, and list three references. Applicants may also be requested to submit relevant portfolio items. We will contact candidates that meet PCPA’s requirements to arrange an interview. Meeting minimum qualifications does not assure a candidate an interview.
Interviews are generally over the phone or via video conference.
Additional interviews occur at SETC, USITT, KCACTF region 7 and 8, and throughout the state of California.
Exact dates and locations vary by department.
PCPA’s Company Manager can assist students in identifying reasonably priced housing options within the community. Rental costs vary greatly depending upon students’ requirements. A student can expect to pay between $600 and $1200 per month for housing costs.